The following sample request is designed to help you convince your boss to authorize your participation at the 2020 Workforce Development Conference. We recommend that you focus on how the conference will serve your professional needs, the needs of your agency or organization, and those it serves.
Additional resources regarding cost and educational programs are available here.
Dear [Name of Addressee],
I am seeking approval to attend the 2020 Workforce Development Conference, June 28 to July 1, 2020 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The Workforce Development Conference (WDC) targets workforce and economic development topics and offers a unique opportunity for me to gain knowledge of developing issues from industry thought leaders. The WDC will equip me with new ideas and understanding that I can utilize to identify more efficient practices and proven solutions for [Name of Organization].
The WDC is an annual, national conference hosted by the International Association of Workforce Professionals that is attended by professionals from all walks of workforce and economic development. The return on investment for the WDC is very high as it is the most affordable workforce conference in the nation. [And because I am a member of the International Association of Workforce Professionals, I am also entitled to discounted member registration rates.]
Keynote presentations, panel discussions and workshops sessions will explore all facets of the workforce profession, I already have my eye on a few programs that I feel will serve me in my position.
- [List Relevant Educational Programs]
In addition to the educational offerings, the WDC will also afford me a great opportunity network and interface with workforce and economic development colleagues from across the U.S. to expand my professional network. A network of knowledgeable and experienced colleagues can be a valuable resource when new challenges arise.
I would therefore appreciate it if you would consider: [Insert Applicable Request]
- Allowing me time off to attend the 2020 Workforce Development Conference, and providing reimbursement for my expenses, which I have outlined below.
- Conference Registration – [Amount]. Because I am a member of the International Association of Workforce Professionals, this amount reflects my member discount.
- Hotel – [Amount], which represents [Number of Nights] night(s) at [Rate] per night. This is a special discounted rate only available to conference attendees and offers a great value for the Pittsburgh area. (If you plan to room share, we recommend you adjust the price of your lodging to reflect any increased savings to the agency/organization).
- Air Travel [Amount] or Mileage [Amount].
- Meals and Ground Transportation [Amount]. (Please click here to see the list of meals that are included with your conference registration).
- Allowing me time off to attend the 2020 Workforce Development Conference, and helping with a portion of the cost. I am willing to cover the cost of travel but would appreciate reimbursement for my conference registration fee. The registration fee is [Amount].
- Allowing me time off to attend the 2020 Workforce Development Conference.
It would be an honor to represent [Organization Name] at the 2020 Workforce Development Conference and capitalize on this valuable opportunity to learn new and better ways to serve our [agency, organization, school, college, program], and those we serve. Upon my return, I would be happy to develop a report outlining what I learned and share it with you and all applicable personnel.
Thank you for your consideration and I’d be happy to answer any questions.
Our staff is always happy to help and welcomes questions. If we can provide any assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good luck, and we hope to see you in Pittsburgh!